Wednesday, March 26, 2008

He Said Bonjour, She Started Crying

So for all of my bluff and bravada about lots of things, one thing that I am scared of is speaking a foreign language. I know its crazy. But I get really nervous about sounding and looking like an idiot that I don't want to open my mouth. I freeze and I can't think of anything to say or do.

Now there have been times in my life when I have had no problem. Mainly when I'm traveling and have no choice. Then I don't care. But thinking about meeting up with a group of French speakers here in DC and trying to talk with them freaks me out a bit.

And yet if I want to get into the Foreign Service, I should have and need to get my act together and start to parle francaise (speak French).

The impetus behind this new surege of attention to French happened last night. I met up with a friend of mine - actually we have only met once before on February 5, 2007. C and I were the only two people to pass the Foreign Service Orals together last year at our location and so we have this crazy little connection. He received the call from the State Department and has been in DC the past month for the orientation training.

We met up last night and he was really pushing for me to get moving with my language training and to try and get hired as soon as possible. This is the only thing that can improve my score and possibly get me hired before October. If not, then I have to take the test again in July (which I'm going to do anyway) and try for next year to get "the call".

But that doesn't change the fact that I'm nervous and a bit scared of speaking French. Even though I know it is something I have to do, its a bit nervewracking. But hey, I've got to chase the lion and face my fears.

Thanks C for your encouragement, your belief in me and your willingness to challenge me to get out there and cahse the french speaking lions. Here's to the Foreign Service and cheers to you for blazing the trail!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such an entertaining writer. I enjoy reading your posts. You just look like the kind that would parle francais.
Go with God and do it!
(so easy for me to say, isn't it!)

Cher