Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Big Apple Digest(ed)



Click here to see the pictures!

So I had a great time in New York. I took the bus from DC straight to Penn Station where my friend Yao's girlfriend Monica picked me up. We headed to the Empire State Building for a look of New York at night. Then back to their apartment and a hello to Yao.

Saturday Monica and I tried on Marc Jacob shoes in Bloomingdales and pretended we had enough money for the furs. I don't think the sales staff believed us :) We met Yao for a walk in Central Park which was by far the best part of the day. Then Yao went back to work and Monica and I went to Union Square and The Strand - a great New York bookstore. That night we all went to Monica's friend's birthday party out in Queens. Monica is Polish and so are most of her friends. We had a great time drinking, eating, drinking, telling jokes, drinking...until 3 am. That's a party!



Sunday morning, the three of us were too lazy to do much of anything. We finally dragged ourselves out of bed to the local deli for some amazing New York bagels. Then back to the apartment for a quick nap after all that rigorous eating. Finally we managed to drag ourselves into the city (they live in Queens) for a meander down Fifth Avenue. We stopped at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, and managed to avoid a run in with the police outside of Madison Square Garden where they were trying to maintain order after a Knicks game. A fight almost broke out and it was so cool to see masses of cops swarm across the street to break it up. I wanted to hang around and watch but Monica and Yao were dragging me away. Then back onto the bus and home, home, home again I went.



The weather was cold but New York was fun and I had a great time with Monica and Yao. We've already made a list of things to do for when I come back which hopefully will be soon!

Click here to see the pictures!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I really didn't like New York either that last time I was there. That's why I was hesitant to go back. What made all the difference was spending it with friends who know the city and being able to hang out with them. I say give it another shot :)

kelly said...

Wow! It sounds like you had a great time! It was all go, go go... It is a good thing you trained for the Marathon. And you even KNOW where Marathon is!
Perhaps a better place than 5th Ave. to buy furs would be Siberia. $1500.00 for a full length red fox coat. How does Michael Know? He asked one of the women that works with him. He touches her coat, and asks How much? Foreigners!
Loved the pictures!