Thursday, February 23, 2006

Eagles, Chickens, and God

"Through a conversation with a friend, God reminded me of a simple but difficult truth: If I have it, he gave it to me, and if he gave it to me, I need it. On the other hand, if I don't have it, either he took it away or he never gave it to me. In either case, I don't need it." - from Dennis Bourne, The Black Sheep Diaries

I joined a new small group on Wednesday nights called Journey which is apropos to what I see 2006 being for me...a significant step in my journey and what my blog is all about. I know I've put some silly stuff on here lately as well. All part of the journey. Today I was googling and searching through websites of people in my small group and from church and ran across this blog from my friend Dennis. I first met him a year and a half ago through an acting small group and haven't really talked to him much since then, but wow, his blog is awesome. This section from his blog that I've posted above really struck me.

I get so caught up in looking around me and seeing what I don't have that I don't stop to think that God took it or didn't give it to me in the first place BECAUSE I DON'T NEED IT. Being in Washington, DC can be intimidating because of all the special and unique people that come here and live here. This taps into my insecurities in a big way and I don't feel like I quite compare and yet in other circumstances and cities, I have appeared to be the special and unique person; the eagle surrounded by chickens in a sense. God is shifting my perspective on myself and on the others. I am special and unique simply because I am His child and He has created me and given me all that makes me special and unique. I am both a chicken and an eagle, depending on the day and the circumstance. And so is everyone else around me.

No comments: